– I am defective
– I am a failure
– I must always please others because I cannot make it on my own
– I was wronged by someone and can never be happy again
– I have made mistakes that can never be forgiven or overcome
CHALLENGING BELIEFS THROUGH QUESTIONING
– how and when did I develop this belief?
– who is it based on or related to?
– how do I know it is true?
– how would I live differently if it was not true?
CHALLENGING BELIEFS THROUGH ACTION
– committed action – action towards goals in accordance with freely-chosen values
– opposite action – challenge yourself by doing the opposite of your negative beliefs
– start even if you are not in the right mood or do not have all the materials
– focus on being productive rather than on the end product
– gain momentum and work around obstacles rather than getting stuck
The Perfectionist Trap
The Impostor Syndrome
Your Life Will Go Wrong, and You Will be Relieved